Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Words to Live By

My friends and I seem to have our romantic crises in sync with each other.  A dear friend of mine-we'll call her Juno-has found herself very unexpectedly knocked up following a romp (well, several romps but I'm assuming one in particular did the job) with an intriguing but oh-so-unavailable man.  She's still in the denial stage, I think, and therefore slightly giddy and unwilling to face up to any of the options before her.  Meanwhile, I am besotted with a married work colleague whose wit keeps me in stitches.  Our flirting is definitely the (sad) highlight of my day at the moment when I have too much work on my plate and not enough men.

I only truly admitted the obsession today.  Now, it's not that I'm averse to having a thing with a married guy-I've been there and done that, a few times, with varying results-but this married guy-well, I don't want just a thing.  He's quality.  Therefore, nothing will happen due to any machinations on my part.    I will pine away at my desk and wait for the next email.  I confessed my deep dark thoughts to Juno today and sent her "sample" email exchanges from Quality Guy to get her opinion.   Her opinion was, "Oh, my!  You're in trouble, dear!  This could be fun, though."   Our exchange continued a little along these lines:

To: Juno
From: RCC
Sent: 12 Nov 2008 21:09

Subject: I TOLE YOU SO

He makes me laugh like no one has in a really long time...sigh...

To: RCC
From: Juno
Sent: 12 Nov 2008 21:11

Subject: Re: I TOLE YOU SO

Then keep him around...nothing wrong with an innocent giggle...kee hee
J.

To: Juno
From: RCC
Sent: 12 Nov 2008 21:12

Subject: RE: RE: I TOLE YOU SO

Like I'm going to take advice from YOU on this subject at this particular moment in time.  LOL.  And, you know if I had my way it would hardly be innocent.  I'm the homewrecker, 'member?

To: RCC
From: Juno
Sent: 12 Nov 2008 21:15

Subject: RE: RE: RE: I TOLE YOU SO

Oh I 'member... OK, so it's not so innocent...nothing wrong with testing the strength of a marriage (ed's note: sez you)...you're doing them a favour.  Just don't get preggers (hee hee).  At least not yet.

To: Juno
From: RCC
Sent: 12 Nov 2008 21:17

SUBJECT: I RUVE HIM

I can't believe you just hee hee'd at that.  Your hormones must really be doing a number...

To: RCC
From: Juno
Sent: 12 Nov 2008 21:19

Subject: RE: I RUVE HIM

Maybe...or maybe I'm a freak of nature...both very plausible explanations.

To: Juno
From: RCC
Sent: 12 Nov 2008 21: 22

Subject: RE: RE: I RUVE HIM

True dat sista.

PS. I REALLY RUVE HIM.

PPS.  I think it would be really funny if, for the rest of our lives, every bit of life guidance you give me ends with the proviso, "Just don't get preggers!"

To: RCC
From: Juno
Sent: 12 Nov 2008 21:26

Subject: RE: RE: RE: I RUVE HIM

Done, done and done.  I think it is good sound advice...in ALL SITUATIONS.  There are no exceptions (unless you are trying to get preggers but even then I think my advice would be not get preggers).

No comments: